Window shutters have been around for a long time, probably even before Highlands Ranch, CO replacement windows. Shutters were invented before window glass as a way for people to open their windows to let in light and ventilation, or close them against the elements or night.
Even though your replacement windows will have glass, shutters are still a great addition. They’re not only decorative, but are also very functional as well. Shutters can help keep the sun from warming your home too much when it’s hot outside, or can help prevent the cold air from seeping into your home during the winter.
Both indoor and outdoor window shutters can be made in many different styles and type, from different louver sizes, construction, to varied design and more. Read on to learn more about the different types of window shutters so you can find a wonderful option for your house.
- Plantation Shutters – Probably the most well-known and used shutter type, Plantation window shutters have wide louvers that make it easy to block unwanted light and temperature alike. When open, their large slats allow for a wider outdoor view. When closed they have a tight fit that blocks weather.
- Shaker Shutters – Shaker window shutters are known for their simple style and ultimate functionality. They are often plain in a traditional way, and can complement a classically designed home.
- Cut-Out Shutters – Cut-out shutters have customizable shapes and designs cut out of the louvers. You can have ship or star cutouts for a nautical home, or geometric shapes for a modern space.
- Café Shutters – Café shutters are named for the French cafes in which they were originally used. These window shutters only cover the bottom half of a window, and generally have louvers.
- Ellipse Arch Shutters –These window shutters are always a special touch, as they cover the half-circle archways often seen on customized windows. Their louvers open in a semi-circular pattern.
- Panel Shutters – Panel window shutters look like small, skinny doors. Solid with a colonial feel, they generally are made up of a wood panel, vapor barrier and a decorative covering.
- Rake Top Shutters – Similar to Ellipse Arch Shutters, Rake Top window shutters are usually customized shutters for unusually shaped window tops. Their slats move on angles so even the sharpest window corner is still operable.
Those are only a few window shutter types you can choose from. Contact your local window treatment or window replacement store to learn more about what kinds they have, and which would be best for your home.
Not sure of what you’re looking for in terms of shutters or even replacement windows? Millennium Windows & Siding can help. We offer a range of replacement window services in Highlands Ranch, CO, and would love to assist you in any way we can. Please stop by our showroom at 12090 W 50th Pl Unit B Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 to visit us in person. You can also give us a call at (720) 508-4385 for more information.