James Hardie fiber cement siding is not only beautiful, but they are also built tough. However, that does not mean that they don’t require maintenance. If you’ve got James Hardie fiber cement siding installed in Denver or any other area where the weather is harsh, you’ll need to properly care for them.
The exposure from harsh weather can gradually reduce the quality of the siding and they can start to deteriorate, leaving the structure of your home exposed. Common problems include mold buildup, scratches, water intrusion, paint deterioration, and other kinds of damage.
At Millenium Windows and Siding, we provide windows and siding replacement services. But we also believe that every homeowner needs to be educated on how to take care of their siding installations.
To help you guide in keeping your siding well maintained and free of damage, we have listed down 10 maintenance tips that can help you preserve the siding.
Wash Your Siding
- It is recommended to wash your fiber cement siding every 6-12 months to get rid of any debris and dirt that may have collected on the surface. You can easily wash them using a garden hose or a bristled brush. Be sure to brush using a side to side motion.
Use Low-Pressure Water Spray Only
- For fiber cement siding, it is highly recommended to use a low-pressure water sprayer coupled with a soft-bristled brush to remove the dirt. Don’t use high-pressure washing because it’ll ruin the surface of the siding or may damage the paint.
- You can use a mild detergent combined with a soft-bristled brush to remove stains from the Hardie plank. Do this only if you are unable to remove the stains by brushing and pressure-washing.
Focus on One Area /h3>
- When cleaning the fiber cement siding, focus the cleaning on one siding before moving to the next part. You do not want the detergent and debris from going to other sections of the siding.
Keep Your Home Clean from Outside
- It pays to regularly clean your home from the outside. Remove any litter that is near the walls of your home so that they do not stick to the siding. Litter that sticks to the siding can gradually damage the siding.
If you have a garden with trees, shrubs, or other plants, keep them well trimmed and at a safe distance away from the siding.
Clean Your Roof Gutters
- This is very important in rainy seasons. If your gutters get clogged, water will fall directly on the walls of your home and it may enter the wall behind the siding. This will result in mold, cracks, and other forms of damage.
- If you have sprinklers installed in your garden, make sure to modify it in a way that the water does not get sprayed directly on the walls. Make sure that the water on the ground that is near the siding is also kept away and dry.
Get Replacement When Needed
James Hardie Fiber Cement siding can last several years. But if for some reason your siding is beyond repair, it is time to have them replaced. Get in touch with Millennium Windows and Siding today for replacement windows and siding services in Denver and Colorado Springs.